Much of Maddington was originally selected in 1829 by Captain John Hobbs, master of the colonial brig "Thomson". This land was soon acquired by John Randall Phillips. As early as 1832, Phillips had named his property "Maddington Farm" presumably after the outer London suburb of that name. A ford across the Canning river near Phillip's farm was commonly known as Maddington Ford" in the 1850's and when it was decided to construct a railway station nearby, about the turn of the century, the obvious name was Maddington.
The suburb of Madeley was approved in 1998, and derives its name from a Wanneroo Road Board member of 1905 and a landowner in the area in 1914.
First approved as Madora in 1990, and amended to Madora Bay in 2003, this suburb derives its name from “Madora Beach Estate” of 1960. The estate was a development of Perry’s Estate Agency in Mandurah, and the name was derived from two Western Australian place names: Chadora, a mill and railway siding near Dwellingup, and Mandora, a cattle station between Broome and Port Hedland.
This suburb takes its name from Mahogany Creek, a picturesque tributary of Jane Brook which flows through the area. The creek was known by this name as early as 1830, and takes its name from the towering forest through which it flowed (mahogany was the early colonial name for Jarrah). This place is well known from "The Old Mahogany Inn" located here, an early colonial wayside inn, formerly known as the "Prince of Wales" Inn. The area was developed as orchard land in the 1890's, and a railway stopping place was established here in 1891.
This area was first settled in 1873 by William Henry Mead. He built a home in the Ridge Hill area, and established an orchard named “Orangedale”. The name of Maida Vale was chosen as the district name by a public meeting of local residents in 1910, and comes from the property name of another early settler, Mr W H McCormack. It is assumed that the name was derived from that of the west London suburb of this name, which in turn is named after Maida (S. Pietro di Maida) in Calabria, Italy. The British Army defeated the French there in 1806, and in commemoration of the victory Maida Hall and Maida Vale were named.
The suburb name Malaga is taken from Malaga Road. This road and three others with unusual names, Truganina, Uganda and Camboon, were surveyed here in 1894. Malaga may be named after the city of Malaga in Spain, or after the Aboriginal word malaga which is the word for ironstone. When the area was promoted by Peet and Co in the 1930's, that company stated the name was of Spanish origin, but there is no evidence to support this is the origin. It was approved as suburb name in 1969.
The area of this suburb was originally referred to as "7 Mile Camp", but when a townsite was declered here in 1923 it was named "Balmanup". Lake Balmanup was an alternative name for Mandogalup Swamp.. In 1945 it was found that the townsite was more commonly known as Mandogalup and it was changed to Mandogalup in 1946. It is an Aboriginal name, the menaing of which is unknown.
Land was originally reserved for a townsite named "Peel" on the west side of the entrance to Peel Inlet in July 1831 but no development took place and most early settlers took up residence on the east shore, the Aboriginal name of which was Mandurah. Early settlers were Peel, Littleton and Creery and Thomas Peel named his residence "Mandurah House". The name is believed to be derived from the word "mandjar", meaning "trading place".
This suburb began as a State Housing Commission project in 1948. The land had been acquired by Henry Manning of High Holburn, London, in 1856, and Manning's grandson, John Daniel Manning had a dairy here. He was a prominent citizen, and was Chairman of the South Perth Road Board in 1894, 1896-7 and 1899-1901. During subdivision the name Manning Estate was used and Manning eventually became the official name of the area.
Marangaroo is an Aboriginal word meaning "blue flowers". The suburb was named in 1977.
Mardella is a variant form of the Aboriginal name of the nearby Medulla Brook. A farming area between Mundijong and Serpentine, the name Mardella has been in use in this area since 1898, when a railway siding of this name was opened here. It was approved as a suburb name in 1997.
This suburb is named after Mariginiup Lake. The lake name was recorded by surveyors in 1844, and in 1904 a townsite was declared here. This Aboriginal name is said to possibly mean "to pull out flag leaved flax". It was named as a suburb in 1982.
Named after Patrick Marmion of the schooner 'Pelsart', who operated a whaling station in this area in 1849. In 1970 a plaque was placed in Padbury Circle - Sorrento to commemorate Marmion. He was granted an area of land rent free and hired a jetty at Fremantle. In the 1930's Marmion beach was a popular spot with fishermen, and numerous boatsheds and shacks were built there
The name of this suburb was approved in 1974. It was named at the request of the Gosnells Town Council after the Martin family, pioneers of Gosnells, and in particular Mr Edward Victor Martin, in recognition of 37 years of service on the council.
The suburb of Maylands was developed in the 1890's around the railway line built through the area in the 1880's. The origin of the name is uncertain, but two possibilities have been suggested. One possible origin is that the name relates to the purchase of the land in the month of May by Mr E W Hamer, the other origin is that it was named by Mr Mephan Ferguson after his daughter, May. Ferguson ran an early business in the area.
This suburb name is derived from Meadow Springs Estate and golf course, development of which began in 1988. The suburb is located just north of mandurah, and the name was approved in 1989. It was previously known as Mandurah Park.
Medina was the first of the Kwinana suburbs to be named after ships. The "Medina" arrived at the Swan River colony in July 1830 with fiftyone passengers on board. The name Medina is believed to be derived from a river on the Isle of Wight, and was approved as a suburb name in 1953.
The suburb of Melville is named after Melville Water on the Swan River. Melville Water was named after Robert Dundas, the second Viscount Melville, by Captain James Stirling during explorations in March 1827, two years prior to settlement at the Swan River. The area was first proposed for development in 1896 as Melville Park Estate, but it really only forged ahead after the second world war.
The suburb of Menora grew out of a large area generally referred to as Mount Lawley. In 1954, the Nomenclature Advisory Committee, working with the Postmaster General established suburb names and boundaries for the inner metropolitan area. The area of Menora was considered unnamed, and Menora was chosen as the name because of the Menora Picture Theatre located in Walcott Street within the area. Another influencing factor in the choice of name was that Menora is the name of the Jewish seven branched candlestick, one of the oldest symbols of the Jewish faith, and this area has a strong Jewish influence.
The name originally proposed for this suburb by the Shire of Wanneroo was 'Hester' after one of the first land owners in the vicinity. This was approved in 1980, but the name was opposed by Australia Post on account of duplication. Because of this the Shire of Wanneroo proposed the name Merriwa ( an Aboriginal word for 'a good place'). The name was approved in 1980.
Middle Swan is one of Perth's oldest suburbs, and the name was in use as early as the 1840's. It was named because the area is in the middle of the Swan valley region.
Midland is named after the Midland Railway Company, which in 1886 was contracted by the state government to build a railway line to Geraldton in return for grants of land. The company established its headquarters at the present site of Midland, and the town grew around the Midland Railway and the government's Eastern Railway. A railway station of Midland Junction was opened here in 1894, but when the municipality was named in 1895 it was named Helena Vale. The railway station kept its name and so much confusion arose that the town was renamed Midland Junction in 1901 and finally shortened to Midland in 1961.
The name Midvale is a composite name made up from Midland and Helena Vale. It is appropriate as the suburb lies midway between Midland and the site of the former Helena Vale Racecourse. The area was developed in the early 1950's.
The name "Millendon" for a suburb in the Upper Swan area commemorates the historic property of Western Australia's first Advocate-General, George Fletcher Moore. Moore, an Irishman, arrived in the Colony in 1830 and in 1833 obtained land in the Swan Valley which he named "Millendon". Moore's land began to be subdivided in 1914, and was developed into large lots suitable for agriculture. The land is in the prime wine growing area of the State and the area today is still renowned for its wines.
This suburb is named after Mindarie Lake, an Aboriginal name first recorded by Alexander Forrest in 1874. The Aboriginal meaning for the name is possibly "the place near which is held a ceremony". Another meaning has been given as "green water" The suburb was to have been named Clarkson prior to development, but the two names were transposed in 1985.
Mirrabooka is an Aboriginal word for the Southern Cross constellation. The name was proposed by the state government in 1954 for a large tract of land to be developed for public housing. It was named the "Mirrabooka Project", but the area now known as Mirrabooka was only named as a suburb in 1980.
The name Morley began appearing on maps around the turn of the twentieth century and was adopted when the area was subdivided for urban development after the Second World War. The most likely explanation for its use is that it commemorates Charles William Morley, who is known to have farmed in the Morley area during the 1860's and 1870's.
The area of this suburb was first named "Buckland Downs" on a map of the Colony drawn in London in September 1832. This name is thought to have been bestowed by Governor Stirling to honour William Buckland, a noted geologist and later Dean of Westminster. The highest point in the district was named Buckland Hill, and this name was adopted for the locality. However, when a railway station was opened in 1895, it was named Cottesloe Beach and this name was also used for the locality. The Buckland Hill Road District was gazetted in 1899, was changed to Cottesloe Beach in 1909, Buckland Hill again in 1930, and then Mosman Park Road District in 1938. The suburb was officially named Mosman Park at a meeting of the Executive Council in 1937, the name being derived from the adjacent Mosman Bay on the river. The bay was named in 1907 when the Public Works Department constructed a jetty on the river here. It was named after Mosman in Sydney, the birthplace of R J Yeldon, a Road Board member 1901-05 and 1908-09.
Mount Claremont was formerly included within the suburbs of Graylands and Swanbourne and derives its name from the adjoining suburb of Claremont. A portion of this area had long been referred to as 'Mount Claremont' by local residents and, as early as 1957, a non-official post office of that name had been established there. In 1985 both the City of Perth and the City of Nedlands requested the creation of a new suburb to be named Mount Claremont and this was approved in January 1986.
The Mount Hawthorn area was first subdivided for urban development in 1887. In the late 1890's part of it was purchased by a syndicate of E H Wittenoom, J A Hicks and C L W Clifton and the story is told that when this group subdivided their land in 1903, James Hicks called his portion of the subdivision Hawthorn Estate, as he had recently been in Melbourne and stayed at Hawthorne. Residents later were apparently dissatisfied with the name and as parts of it were on an eminence and to use the name Mount so and so was fashionable at that time, (eg Mount Lawley), they called it Mount Hawthorn.
Mount Helena was known as Lion Mill until it was renamed Mount Helena in March 1924. The prime mover in the quest for a new name was the local Progress Association whose first choice, "Hillcrest" had been rejected by the authorities because of a duplication in New South Wales. The next suggestion, "Mount Helena" was more successful and had been chosen as a euphonious name, indicative of the terrain and because the suburb was situated centrally in the Helena District.
At the beginning of the twentieth century the whole of the Mount Lawley area was undeveloped bushland. At this time the Mount Lawley estate was purchased by Messrs Samuel W Copley and R T Robinson, who set out with the object of making this an attractive suburb, with the right type of home, and with every possible encouragement given to householders to create a garden suburb. Mount Lawley received its name in recognition of Sir Arthur Lawley, who was Governor of Western Australia for 15 months in 1901-02. Governor Lawley was born in 1860, and had a distinguished career in the British Army, and the Colonial Service.
This hilly suburb in the City of Armadale derives its name from "Derrynasura", a vineyard established in the area in 1897. It comprised 280 acres with cellars especially excavated into the hillside. The suburb name was officially adopted in 1996, and it was formerly part of Armadale and Kelmscott suburbs.
In 1911 James Herbert Simpson built a house on 40 acres by the river which, because of its shape, became known as the Castle on the Hill. Simpson named it Mt. Pleasant, the name which now adorns the suburb. Mt Pleasant, like its neighbouring suburbs, experienced boom times after the completion of the Kwinana Freeway from Perth to the Canning Bridge which made the suburb, being so close to the city centre, and having attractive river views, extremely desirable real estate."
Formerly part of Armadale and Wungong, Mount Richon was approved as a suburb in 2003. It is named after a former vineyard in the area
Mullaloo is an Aboriginal word, and was first recorded for a point on the coast near here in 1919. It was first shown as Moolalloo Point, but the spelling was later changed to Mullaloo, and the feature is now known as Pinnaroo Point. The beach here was locally known as Mullaloo Beach around the turn of the century, but urban subdivision only commenced in the late 1950's. One record of the Aboriginal name records it as meaning "place of the rat kangaroo".
Permanent settlement in Mundaring began in 1882-84 when Mr Peter Gugeri established a vineyard south of the Eastern Railway. Gugeri was born in London in 1845 and gained experience in the wine industry in Italy. The first railway siding at Mundaring was named after him and for some years the area was generally known as "Gugeris". A later settler, M H Jacoby, took over Gugeris' vineyards in 1893, and named the business the "Mundaring Vineyard Company". The name came from an Aboriginal camp situated nearby and the meaning given to Jacoby by the aborigines was "a high place on a high place". The correct pronunciation was "Mundahring" but common usage has gradually converted this to "Mundairing".
This place was originally named Jarrahdale Junction. It was at the junction of the Rockingham-Jarrahdale line and the government line from Perth to Bunbury which was built in 1893. A town grew up around the junction, and a timber depot which included a large planing mill was constructed. The town was first declared as "Manjedal" in 1893 as it was thought to be the Aboriginal name of the area. In 1897 this was found to be incorrect, and the name was changed to Mundijong.
In January 1830 land at Woodman Point was set aside for a townsite to accommodate new settlers. the town was named Clarence and a large lake near its centre, "Lake Munster" (now Lake Coogee), both after Prince William, Duke of Clarence in the peerage of Great Britain and Earl of Munster in the peerage of Ireland. In 1895 a postal directory mentioned that the suburb of "Lake Munster" was "also known as Coogee". In later years this name was applied more to the area north-west of the lake, while the rest of the area became known for postal purposes as "Woodman Point" and "South Coogee in the 1950'S. Munster was officially adopted as a suburb name in 1954.
This suburb is named after Sir Walter Murdoch. Murdoch was born in 1874, and in 1912 was appointed Professor of English at the new University of Western Australia. He was Chancellor of the University from 1943 to 1947, and died in 1970 shortly before Perth's second university was named in his honour. The suburb was named in 1974.
Prior to 1954, the suburb now named Myaree was generally known as part of Melville and consisted of poultry farms and several industries. The Melville Road Board acquired land and planning for an urban residential area in conjunction with an industrial area was begun. The name, Myaree, which is an Aboriginal word meaning 'foliage', was suggested and street names were chosen commemorating men of the district who died on active service in the first world war and old residents who had played an active part in the development of the area. Development of the area commenced in 1955.