Latitude 27° 35' S Longitude 117° 55' E
Mainland is an abandoned goldfields townsite located about 635 km north east of Perth and 15 km south of the town of Cue. The townsite is located on the northern shore of Lake Austin, and the gold mining area was called "Mainland" to distinguish it from "The Island", a nearby mining area on an island in Lake Austin. Gold was discovered in this area in 1892, and the townsite was gazetted in 1898.
Latitude 28° 56' S Longitude 121° 31' E
Malcolm is an abandoned goldfields town, 852 km north east of Perth and 20 km east of Leonora. The townsite derives its name from the nearby physical feature of the same name. The mountain was named by surveyor John Forrest during exploration of the area in 1869. The name honours Malcolm Hamersley, a settler who was with Forrest on his exploration
Gold was discovered in the Malcolm area around 1895/6, and in November 1896 the Mount Malcolm Provisional Committee requested the government survey and declare a townsite. At that time there were 3 hotels, six stores, 2 bakeries, a butcher and other businesses established. In 1904 Malcolm had 5 hotels and a brewery and a population of 400. The townsite was gazetted in 1897.
Latitude 20° 53' S Longitude 118° 02' E
The townsite of Mallina is located in the Pilbara district, 1665 km from Perth, between Roebourne and Port Hedland. Now abandoned, Mallina owed its existence to gold discoveries. Gold was discovered here in 1887 when Jimmy Withnell picked up a stone to throw at a crow, and discovered it was smothered with gold. A rich reef was also discovered in 1888. The government decided to create a townsite here in 1894, surveys being made in 1895 and the townsite gazetted in 1896
Mallina derives its name from Mallina Pool, the Aboriginal name of pool in the Peawah River. The name of the pool has been shown on maps since 1879 when a pastoral lease was taken up here, and in 1881 N W Cooke leased the land and named his property "Mallina". The mining centre later utilised the same name. The meaning of the name is not known,
Latitude 30° 48' S Longitude 117° 46' E
The townsite of Mandiga is located in the central agricultural area, 264 km north east of Perth and about 8 km west of Bencubbin. Mandiga was a railway siding on the Wyalcatchem-Mount Marshall railway when the line was opened in 1917, and when a townsite was being considered for this place in 1916 the name of the proposed siding was adopted for the townsite. The townsite was gazetted in 1919, but little development ever took place here. Mandiga is an Aboriginal name chosen by the Chief Draftsman in the Lands Department in 1913. He selected the name from a list of names obtained by F S Brockman, District Surveyor Bridgetown, from an Aboriginal in the Margaret River area, probably Samuel Isaacs. The meaning of the name is given as "a young girl" (late teenage years) The listed spelling was Mandigga, but one g was dropped according to spelling rules applied by the Department.
Latitude 32° 32' S Longitude 115° 43' E
Mandurah is a coastal city in the south west, 74 km south of Perth. Land was originally reserved for a townsite named "Peel" on the west side of the entrance to Peel Inlet in July 1831 but no development took place and most early settlers took up residence on the east shore, the Aboriginal name of which was "Mandurah". The name is believed to be derived from the Aboriginal word "mandjar", meaning "trading place". Thomas Peel, an early settler in the area, named his residence "Mandurah House"
In July 1855, Thomas Peel surrendered to the Crown the area now bounded by Mandurah Terrace, Peel, Sholl and Gibson Streets to settle outstanding debts. It is likely that this area would have eventually become a townsite under the Land Act, but in 1898, it was discovered that the same area was included in lands held under Certificate of Title by G.C. Knight of Fremantle. The Registrar reported that the land had passed beyond the reach of caveat and consequently the Crown was unable to regain possession. As a result, Mandurah, although a fast growing settlement worthy of government interest, was developed purely by means of private subdivisions. The area was declared a townsite under the Local Government Act in 1950
Latitude 34° 15' S Longitude 116° 09' E
The townsite of Manjimup is located in the south west, 304 km south of Perth. Manjimup is an Aboriginal name said to be derived from "Manjin", a broad leafed marsh flag with an edible root valued as an article of diet by Aborigines. These plants apparently grew prolifically below a spring in the area. The earliest white settlers in this region were Charles Rose and Frank Hall in 1859. Hall's property passed to J. Mottram who named his homestead "Manjimup House" in the 1860s. Also, in 1863 a local brook was recorded by surveyor T. Treen as Manjimup Brook.
By the late 1890s demand for quality agricultural land in Western Australia focused attention on the heavily forested areas near Manjimup. A report by surveyor Terry in 1898 identified good land on the Wilgarup River, and an Agricultural Area was declared. There was also some demand for small lots, and in 1902 lots were surveyed near Balbarrup and it was decided to declare a townsite. The Nelson Roads Board nominated Manjimup as a name, and the townsite of Manjimupp was gazetted in 1903. The double "P" spelling was used because the Lands Department had adopted spelling rules for Aboriginal names where doubling a consonant shortened the following vowel (otherwise the pronunciation could have been Manjimoop).
In 1909 the government decided to extend the railway from Bridgetown to Wilgarup. The terminus of the line was to be close to the original Manjimup homestead, which is about 5 km west of the 1903 townsite. The proposed station was named Manjimup, and a subdivision was recommended at the site. The new townsite was named Manjimupp, and gazettal took place in 1910. The original Manjimupp was renamed to Balbarrup the same year. The locally accepted spelling however was Manjimup, and the double "P" was officially changed in 1915.The railway line was opened for traffic in 1911.
Latitude 30° 51' S Longitude 117° 06' E
The townsite of Manmanning is located in the central agricultural area, 202 km north east of Perth and 46 km north of Dowerin. It was originally a siding on the Ejanding Northward railway, a line built between the town now known as Amery, and Kalannie, around 1927. When it was first recommended that land be set aside for a townsite here in 1927 the Dowerin Road Board suggested it be named Darragin, a name contracted from nearby Dandarragin Soak. The railway was opened in 1927 before the townsite was gazetted, and the siding was named Manmanning. The townsite adopted the same name when gazetted in 1929. Manmanning is the Aboriginal name of a nearby soak, first shown on maps in 1907. The source and meaning of the name is not known.
Latitude 34° 50' S Longitude 118° 10' E
Manypeaks is a townsite in the great southern region, 443 km south east of Perth and 37 km north east of Albany on the South Coast Highway. In 1949/50 the government developed the Many Peaks Land Settlement project, and decided a townsite should be established in the area. Manypeaks was selected as it was the project name, the name being derived from Mount Manypeaks located on the south coast about 10 km from Manypeaks. The townsite was gazetted in 1951.
Mount Manypeaks is a dominant feature in the area, rising to 562 metres from the adjacent coast. It is a descriptive name given by Captain Matthew Flinders in January 1802 whilst surveying the south coast region in his ship "Investigator". In his journal Flinders quotes "There are a number of small peaks upon the top of this ridge, which induced me to give it the name Mount Manypeak". The plural form has become the accepted form of spelling
Latitude 34° 59' S Longitude 117° 44' E
The townsite of Marbelup is situated near the south coast, about 15 km west of Albany. The W A Land Company, who built the Great Southern Railway in the period 1886-1889, established a station named Marbellup here when the line was opened in 1889. The Company surveyed a small subdivision, but very little land had been sold when the government purchased the railway in 1896. Land was reserved for a townsite of Marbelup in 1899, and it was officially gazetted as a townsite in August 1900. Only one lot was ever sold, and the townsite is now a nature reserve. Marbelup is an Aboriginal name, first recorded in 1868 as Marblup, and then as Marbellup Creek and Marbelup Brook in 1888-1890. The meaning of the word is not known.
Latitude 21° 10' S Longitude 119° 45' E
The townsite of Marble Bar is located in the Pilbara region, 1476 km north north east of Perth. The nearest town to Marble Bar is Nullagine, 112 km south. Marble Bar derives its name from a nearby jasper bar, known as Marble Bar, which runs across the bed of the Coongan River. The townsite was gazetted in 1893, and came about following the discovery of gold in the area in 1890. Marble Bar had a reputation as the hottest town in Australia, due to it once recording 160 consecutive days above the old fahrenheit century.
Latitude 30° 03' S Longitude 116° 04' E
Marchagee is a townsite in the northern agricultural area, 241 km north of Perth and 23 km from Coorow. The townsite is located on the Midland Railway, and also the old north road and telegraph line. Land was set aside for a reserve for travellers here in 1876, and the name Marchagee Well recorded by a surveyor. The name is Aboriginal, but the meaning is not known at present.
In 1899 the Midland Railway Company opened a railway station here, but it received little use, as the surrounding area was little developed. Some large lots were surveyed in the area in 1906, but it was not until 1927 when a surveyor inspected the area and suggested the declaration of a townsite that any development was contemplated. The townsite was gazetted in May 1927.
Latitude 33° 57' S Longitude 115° 04' E
The townsite of Margaret River is located in the south west agricultural area, 277 km south south west of Perth and 48 km south south west of Busselton. It is located on the Margaret River from which it derives its name. The precise origin of the naming of the river is not known, but it was possibly named by John Bussell in honour of Margaret Wyche, a friend in England who was expected to follow the Bussell's to Australia. The name is first shown on a map of the region published in 1839.
In 1910 the Margaret River Progress Association wrote to the Minister for Lands requesting a townsite be declared at "the Upper Margaret Bridge". The reason given was that "the district is likely to be dotted with public buildings several miles apart in the near future if a townsite is not made available shortly". The District Surveyor who inspected the area preferred an area near the lower bridge on Caves Road, but this land was not available. Lots were surveyed in 1912, and the Townsite of Margaret River gazetted in 1913. In 1918 the name of the townsite was changed to "Margaret", but it was changed back to Margaret River in 1927, due to local usage of the name always being Margaret River.
Latitude 31° 28' S Longitude 119° 29' E
Marvel Loch is a townsite in the Yilgarn goldfield, 32 km south south east of Southern Cross and 401 km east of Perth. Gold was discovered in this area in 1906, a gold mining lease being taken up that year in the names of A.J. Markham, D.L. Doolette, J. Leneberg and T. Le Breton, and named "Marvel Loch". Another mining area nearby was named Jaccoletti's, and in 1909 it was decided to survey a townsite between the two mining areas. Marvel Loch was selected as the name of the townsite which was gazetted in 1911. Marvel Loch is named after the horse that won the 1905 Caulfield Cup.
Latitude 23° 06' S Longitude 113° 47' E
Mauds Landing is a coastal townsite about 1135 km north north west of Perth. It is adjacent to the popular resort town of Coral Bay. The townsite is named after the landing of the same name, which was discovered by the Captain of the schooner "Maud" about 1880. The "Maud" was owned by John Bateman of Fremantle, and named after his daughter Maud who was born in 1855. The ship was built in 1866 and wrecked in the north west in 1894. The port of Mauds Landing was surveyed in 1897 by Commander Dawson, RN.
The government considered establishing a townsite at Mauds Landing in 1896, and a townsite reserve was set aside there later that year. In 1898 the settlers of the Minilya, Yanare and Lyndon Rivers and the Bangemall Goldfields petitioned the Lands Department to declare a townsite there. Mauds Landing was becoming an important port for shipping stock, wool and gold in the late 1890s. The petitioners also asked for the townsite to be named Mervyn after Mervyn C R Bunbury, and old settler of the district who had done much to develop the port. However, there was no demand for lots there, and it was 1914 before any lots were surveyed. The townsite was gazetted in 1915 as Mauds Landing, although the district surveyor had suggested it be named Kooloobelloo, a local Aboriginal name.
Latitude 32° 00' S Longitude 117° 10' E
The townsite of Mawson is located in the central agricultural area, 140 km east of Perth and 26 km west of Quairading. When the Greenhills - Quairading Railway was opened in 1908 the siding at this place was named Warraling after the nearby Warraling Well. Warraling is an Aboriginal word for the crested parrot, although another interpretation is "ing" meaning 'place of' and "warra" meaning 'bad, beware, lazy'.
In 1910 the government decided to survey some lots at the Warraling Siding, and the Warraling Townsite was gazetted in 1912. In 1914 the Railways Department advised that Warraling was being confused with Naraling, and asked for one of the names to be changed. At the suggestion of the Chief Draftsman in the Lands Department, the railway siding of Warraling was changed to Mawson in 1914. The name of the townsite was also amended in 1915. The name honours Sir Douglas Mawson, the Antarctic explorer.
Latitude 29° 53' S Longitude 116° 30' E
Maya is a townsite in the northern agricultural area, 300 km north north east of Perth, between Wubin and Latham. It is on the railway between Wongan Hills and Mullewa which opened for service in 1915. When the railway was being planned in 1913 a site for a siding was selected at "Pocanmaya", and the Lands Department decided that a townsite should also be set aside. The District Surveyor proposed the townsite be named Pocanmaya, but the Under Secretary decided to shorten the name to Maya. The townsite was gazetted in July 1913. Pocanmaya, from which the name is derived, is the Aboriginal name of a spring in the vicinity, first recorded by a surveyor in 1876.
Latitude 33° 56' S Longitude 116° 27' E
Mayanup is a townsite in the south west agricultural area, 283 km south south east of Perth and 17 km south south east of Boyup Brook. In 1904 Mr M F Moulton, the Land Guide in this area asked the Lands Department to set aside land for a townsite at Scotts Brook, as "selectors were taking up all of the land in the area". Although the district surveyor felt that there was insufficient demand for a townsite, land was reserved for that purpose in 1905. As well as Scotts Brook, the area was referred to as Gnowergerup, the Aboriginal name of a nearby brook. Lots were surveyed in 1906, and the Upper Blackwood Roads Board asked to supply "a euphonius native name"for the proposed townsite. Mayanup was nominated by the Roads Board, but no meaning or source of the name were given. The townsite was gazetted in 1907
Latitude 31° 38' S Longitude 117° 00' E
Meckering is located in the central agricultural area, 132 km east north east of Perth and 35 km east of Northam. The railway to Southern Cross was constructed through here in 1894-95, and Meckering was selected as the site for a station. When the line opened in 1895 Meckering was the second stop east of Northam. There was sufficient demand for land in the area for the government to declare a townsite at the siding, but the name selected was Beebering, the Aboriginal name of some hills 3 km to the north. Beebering townsite was gazetted in December 1895.
Less than two years later, in 1897, the name was changed to Meckering, to agree with the railway station and because this name was locally used. Meckering is an Aboriginal name, first recorded in 1872 for a well. The meaning is unknown, although some sources give it as meaning "moon on the water" or "good hunting".
Latitude 26° 35' S Longitude 118° 30' E
Meekatharra is a townsite in the Murchison goldfields, 765 km north north east of Perth. The townsite is 35 km north north east of Nannine where the first goldrush on the Murchison Goldfield occurred in 1890. It was not until late 1895, when three prospectors, Meehan, Porter and Soych, pegged a claim at "Meekatharra" that the place came to the attention of the mining world. Their claim was near Meekatharra Spring, the Aboriginal name of a watering point that had appeared on maps since 1885, and it is from this spring that the townsite's name is derived. It is believed that the name means, "place of little water".
By 1900 there had been sufficient growth at Meekatharra for the Meekatharra Progress Committee to write to the government requesting a townsite be declared. A surveyor inspected the site and felt it premature, but within a year the situation had changed, and lots were surveyed and land reserved for a townsite. The formal gazettal of the townsite took place in December 1903. A railway station was opened here in 1910, and it contained a large junction station, loco depot and trainsmen's barracks. A stationmaster was there until 1978 when the line was closed.
Latitude 31° 38' S Longitude 116° 54' E
Meenaar is a townsite in the central agricultural area, 22 km from Perth and 25 km east of Northam on the Great Eastern Highway. It is also on the railway from Perth to Kalgoorlie, and a siding was established at Meenaar in the late 1890s. In 1898 the government considered subdividing land for small blocks here, but it was 9 years before lots were surveyed. A townsite was gazetted in 1908. One source gives meenar as the Aboriginal word for the wild onion, and the name may be derived from this word.
Latitude 29° 41' S Longitude 121° 02' E
The townsite of Menzies is located in the eastern goldfields, 728 km east north east of Perth and 132 km north of Kalgoorlie. Gold was discovered in this area in 1894, and Mr Leslie Robert Menzies and John McDonald were the first to take up a lease here in October 1894, naming their lease the "Lady Shenton". It was a rich gold find, and the Mining Warden for the area recommended a townsite be declared in 1895, referring to the place as "Menzies" after the prospector. Menzies was an American born prospector who had sought gold in America, Africa and New Zealand, and came to Australia on behalf of a syndicate. The townsite was gazetted in August 1895.
Latitude 31° 29' S Longitude 118° 17' E
The townsite of Merredin is located in the central agricultural area, 260 km east of Perth. The townsite is located on the Great Eastern Highway, and a little south of the original road to the eastern goldfields. When the Yilgarn Goldfield around Southern Cross was declared in 1888, the road to the goldfield passed just to the north of "Merreden Rock". A well at the rock made it an important stopping place, and in 1890 the Lands Department surveyed 20 lots there, and the following year, 1891, gazetted the townsite of Merriden. None of the lots ever sold, although a hotel was built just to the south of them. In 1895 the railway to Southern Cross was opened, and a station named Merredin was established a short distance south west of the original townsite. In 1903 a decision was made to establish a locomotive barracks at this station, and it was felt there would be demand for land. Lots were surveyed in 1904, and in 1906 the area around the railway station was added to the townsite of Merriden, and lots made available for sale.
In 1906 the Chief Draftsman in the Lands Department commented that Merriden was now spelt 3 ways - Merreden for the nearby state forest, Merredin for the railway station and Merriden for the townsite. It was decided to adopt the railway spelling for all names, and all plans were corrected, but it was not until 1907 that official gazettals were using the Merredin spelling. Merredin is an Aboriginal name which means "the place of merritt's", a locally abundant tree, the trunks of which were used for making spears. The name was first recorded in 1889 for Merredin Rock.
Latitude 28° 40' S Longitude 121° 32' E
Mertondale is a goldfields townsite situated 833 km north east of Perth and 30 km north east of Leonora. Gold was discovered in this area in late 1898 by Fred Merton, and when the richness of the find was realised in 1899, Archibald Burt, the Mining Warden recommended a townsite be declared. The gold mining lease was named Merton's Reward, and also referred to as Merton's Find, but when Burt recommended the townsite he nominated Mertondale as the name. The townsite was gazetted in 1899, but the gold did not last, and the place was almost deserted by 1910.
Latitude 30° 30' S Longitude 116° 22' E
The townsite of Miling is located in the northern agricultural area, 202 km north north east of Perth and 43 km north east of Moora. Land was privately subdivided in this area in 1926, following the construction of the railway to Miling from Piawaning. Miling was not gazetted as a townsite until 1949. The name is Aboriginal, and believed to be derived from a nearby spring, Dookling Marling Sand Hole. The meaning is not known.
Latitude 29° 12' S Longitude 115° 26' E
The townsite of Mingenew is located in the northern agricultural area, 367 km from Perth and 54 km east of the coastal town of Dongara. The area around Mingenew, referred to as the Irwin District, after the Irwin River, was settled in the 1850s. It was an important cattle raising area, with Samuel Pole Phillips and Edward Hamersley the principle lease owners. One of the datum points for leases at this time was a "Mengenew Spring", now Mingenew Spring, and this name was first recorded in 1856. It is Aboriginal, and said to mean "place of many waters".
The Midland Railway from Walkaway to "Mingenoo Springs" was opened in August 1891, and also gold was discovered in the Murchison in 1891. The importance of the position of the Mingenew area was soon recognised, and Samuel James Phillips, son of the original leaseholder, decided to carry out a private subdivision. Lots were surveyed in 1891, and this private subdivision became the town of Mingenew. In 1906 the government subdivided adjacent land. This was gazetted as Mingenew townsite in 1906, and the following year the private subdivision was also gazetted as part of the townsite.
Latitude 31° 08' S Longitude 117° 11' E
The townsite of Minnivale is located in the central agricultural area, 180 km north east of Perth. It is situated on the railway line from Dowerin to Wyalkatchem, and was established following the opening of the line in 1911. When land was set aside in 1909 for a townsite the place was described as at the "36 Mile Post" on the Rabbit Proof Fence. Lots were surveyed in 1910, and the surveyor, when asked for a name for the townsite, advised the area was known as "Minnievale", the name of a farm north of the proposed townsite. He suggested the town name be abbreviated to just "Minni", and the railway siding was at first named Nenin, but Minnivale was the name adopted when the townsite was gazetted in 1911.
Latitude 33° 37' S Longitude 116° 48' E
The townsite of Moodiarrup is located in the great southern agricultural region, 236 km south east of Perth and 35 km south of Darkan. The townsite was gazetted in 1909, spelt Mudiarrup, to conform with the Royal Geographical Society's system of orthography. In 1956 residents of the area requested the spelling be amended to Moodiarrup, a spelling more appropriate to the correct pronunciation. The change of spelling was gazetted in 1957. Moodiarrup is an Aboriginal word, first recorded by a surveyor in 1871. The meaning of the name is not known.
Latitude 33° 36' S Longitude 117° 30' E
The townsite of Moojebing is located in the great southern agricultural region, around 260 km south east of Perth between the towns of Woodanilling and Katanning. In the early 1890s the government opened up a lot of land in the Katanning area, including a number of townsites. Moojebing was one of these, and the townsite was gazetted in 1892. The townsite straddled the Great Southern Railway which opened in 1889, but it was also close to other townsites at Katanning, Woodanilling and Pinwernying. The demand for land was low, and in 1917 much of the townsite area was opened up for agricultural purposes.
Moojebing is an Aboriginal word, believed from Moojebup Spring, a nearby name first recorded in the area in 1874. The meaning of the name is not known, although one source gives it as the "place of moojung birds". There are no references to a "moojung" bird, and this source is dubious. It may be connected with "moodjar" or "muja", the Noongar word for the W.A. Christmas Tree, Nuytsia floribunda.
Latitude 30° 57' S Longitude 117° 05' E
The townsite of Moonijin is located in the central agricultural area, 191 km north east of Perth and 35 km north of Dowerin. It was originally a siding on the Ejanding Northward railway, a line built between the town now known as Amery, and Kalannie, around 1927. When it was first recommended that land be set aside for a townsite here in 1927 the Dowerin Road Board suggested it be named Moonijin. This is an Aboriginal place name that first appeared on maps of the area in 1907. The meaning of the name is not known. The townsite was gazetted in 1929.
Latitude 30° 38' S Longitude 116° 00' E
The townsite of Moora is located in the northern agricultural area, 172 km north of Perth. When the Midland Railway Company railway line from Midland to Walkaway was opened in 1894, Moora was one of the original stations on the line. The government decided there was sufficient demand for land in the area to survey lots and gazette a townsite, and Moora townsite was gazetted in 1895.
Moora is the Aboriginal name of the locality, derived from "moora-moora" meaning 'good spirit'. The area of Glentromie farm to the south was known by the Aboriginal place name, "murra murra". Another source gives Moora as a word meaning "grandparent", although the location where this name was used is not known.
Latitude 31° 19' S Longitude 119° 08' E
Moorine Rock is located in the eastern agricultural region, 347 km east of Perth and 22 km west south west of Southern Cross. It is located on the Great Eastern Hughway and the railway line from Northam to Southern Cross. When the line was opened in 1895 a railway station was established here and named Parkers Road after a nearby road. The road led to Parker Range, an area where Mr W M Parker made a gold find in 1888. In 1923 the district surveyor for the area reported there was a need to survey some lots at Parkers Road station. The survey was carried out the following year, and in 1925 the area was gazetted as the townsite of Parker Road.
In 1926 the local member of Parliament advised the name of the townsite was causing confusion because it was too similar to Parker Range, a nearby goldmining area, and was also the name of a road in Southern Cross. He suggested the alternative name of Moorine, after Moorine Rock. This name was too similar to Moora, but was accepted with the full name Moorine Rock. The change of name of the townsite was gazetted in 1926. Moorine Rock is the Aboriginal name of some rocks near the townsite, first recorded by an explorer in 1865. The meaning of the name is not known.
Latitude 33° 34' S Longitude 118° 05' E
Moornaming is a townsite in the great southern agricultural region, 326 km south east of Perth and 7 km south west of Nyabing. It is situated on the railway line from Katanning to Nyabing. When the line was planned in 1910 and names sought for stations on the line the station in this place was proposed to be named Shannons, after a nearby soak. It was known by this name for a year before the Railways Department proposed it be named Badgeminnup, referred to as the Aboriginal name of the area. This name was adopted in 1912. The same year it was decided to establish a townsite here, and the suggested name of the townsite was Badjeminnup, the more correct spelling from a nearby soak. Badjeminnup townsite was gazetted in 1915.
In 1923 the Railways Department advised that Badjeminnup was being confused with Badgebup, and suggested Badjeminnup be changed. The name Moornaming, an Aboriginal name of the area was suggested by a resident of Badgebup, and the change of the name to Moornaming was gazetted in 1923. The meaning of the name is not known.
Latitude 32° 31' S Longitude 117° 10' E
The townsite of Moorumbine is located in the great southern agricultural region, 165 km south east of Perth and 7 km east of Pingelly. A small community was developing in this area in the 1870s, and in 1873 an Anglican church was built here. The townsite was gazetted in 1884, before the survey and construction of the Great Southern Railway from Albany to Beverley. When the railway was built it was about 7 km west of Moorumbine, and a new townsite developed at Pingelly. There was little need for a townsite at Moorumbine, and the size of the townsite was reduced and most town lots were more than 1 ha. Moorumbine is the Aboriginal name of a nearby spring, first recorded by a surveyor in 1856. The name has sometimes been spelt Mourambine, but the meaning of the name is not known.
Latitude 29° 13' S Longitude 116° 01' E
Morawa is a townsite in the northern agricultural area, 370 km north of Perth. It is on the railway between Wongan Hills and Mullewa which opened for service in 1915. When the railway was being planned in 1913 Morawa was approved as the name of one of the stations, and the Lands Department decided that land should also be set aside for a townsite there. The townsite was gazetted in September 1913. In 1921 the Railways Department decided that the names Mullewa and Morawa were too similar, and suggested Morawa be renamed Wooltanar. This name was too similar to a Queensland name, and Merkanooka, a local Aboriginal name was suggested instead. The change of name to Merkanooka was gazetted in January 1922. However, the Railways Department, which had pressed for a change, did not alter the name of the railway siding from Morawa, and after local representation the name was changed back to Morawa in June 1922.
Morawa is an Aboriginal name, first shown on maps of the area for a rock hole in 1910. It is possibly derived from "Morowa" or "Morowar", the Dalgite, a small marsupial which burrows into the earth. Another possible meaning is "the place where men are made".
Latitude 33° 14' S Longitude 117° 59' E
Moulyining is a townsite in the great southern agricultural area, 291 km south east of Perth between Dumbleyung and Kukerin. In 1912 the government built an extension to the railway line from Dumbleyung to Kukerin, and established a station at Moulyinning. The Moulyinning Siding Progress Association requested the survey of lots and the declaration of a townsite in 1912, but it was 1915 before the townsite was gazetted. Moulyinning is the Aboriginal name of a nearby dam, first shown on maps in 1909. A possible meaning of the name is "place of little swamps".
Latitude 33° 38' S Longitude 117° 40' E
The townsite of Mount Barker is located 359 km south south east of Perth and 50 km north north west of Albany in the great southern agricultural region. Although Mount Barker is on the original road to Albany, and a military barracks was built near here in the 1830s and an Inn in 1860, it was not until the railway line from Albany to Beverley was built in the late 1880s that the place came into prominence. When the line opened in 1889, Mount Barker was one of the original stopping places. Although the W A Land Company, which built the line and received land grants in return, gazetted a townsite here in 1893, very little land was sold before the government took the line over in 1896. The townsite was resurveyed by the government, and gazetted as Mount Barker in 1899.
Mount Barker is named after the nearby hill of the same name. The first recording of the name is by the explorer Dr A Collie in May 1831, but the feature is believed to have been named by Dr T B Wilson who explored in the area in December 1829. It is named after Captain Collett Barker of the 39th Regiment and Commandant at King George Sound at the time of the exploration. Captain Barker was killed by Aborigines at the mouth of the Murray River, South Australia in 1831.
Latitude 31° 54' S Longitude 116° 52' E
Mount Hardey townsite is located in the central agricultural region, 107 km east of Perth and 10 km east of York. A railway line from York to Greenhills was opened in 1898, and Mount Hardey established as one of the sidings on the railway line. It was also referred to as the Six Mile, being six miles from York. Following a request from the local member of Parliament town lots were surveyed, and the townsite of Mount Hardey gazetted in 1905.
Mount Hardey derives its name from the nearby feature of the same name. The feature name was first recorded in 1835, and honours John Wall Hardey, 1802-1885, farmer and Methodist preacher. His property at York was named Mount Hardey
Latitude 29° 03' S Longitude 120° 30' E
Mount Ida is an abandoned goldfields townsite located about 100 km east south east of Leonora. It is named after the feature of the same name located about 21 km south south west of the townsite. The hill was named by the explorer/surveyor John Forrest in 1869, most likely after a lad friend. In his journal Forrest states "Saddled up at daybreak, and steered about SE towards a high range of hills about 10 miles distant, which I named Mount Ida, from the summit of which I took a round of angles with my pocket sextant."
Gold was discovered in this area in the mid 1890s, and by June 1896 there were around 200 people in the area, resulting in the mining warden suggesting a townsite be declared. The townsite was gazetted in May 1898.
Latitude 32° 13' S Longitude 116° 58' E
The townsite of Mount Kokeby is located in the great southern agricultural region, 142 km east south east of Perth, and 12 km south of Beverley on the Great Southern Highway. The townsite is named after nearby Mount Kokeby, but the spelling of this feature is in fact a mistake. It was originally recorded as Mount Rokeby by Surveyor General J S Roe in 1835, and appears on plans with this spelling until 1950. However, an "R" can easily be mistaken for a "K", and when a railway station on the Great Southern Railway was opened here in 1889 it was incorrectly spelt Mount Kokeby. The name of the hill was changed from Rokeby to Kokeby in 1950. The name is most likely derived from Henry Montagu, the 6th Baron Rokeby of Armagh or perhaps the 5th Baron. . In 1899 the government land agent in Beverley suggested blocks of land be made available adjacent to the station, and following survey a townsite was gazetted here in 1902.
Latitude 28° 04' S Longitude 117° 51' E
Mount Magnet is a townsite in the Murchison goldfields, 569 km north east of Perth and 126 km east of Yalgoo. Gold was discovered in the Mount Magnet area in July 1891 by the prospectors George Woodley and Tom Sampey. By late 1893 there was enough interest in the area for the government to consider declaring a townsite, and the survey was carried out in 1894 and the townsite gazetted in 1895. The railway to Mount Magnet was completed in August 1897, but it was not opened until July 1898. The railway closed in May 1978.
Mount Magnet is named after the nearby hill of the same name. The hill was named by the explorer Robert Austin in 1854, in consequence of the magnetic properties of the rocks on its summit. The Aboriginal name of the hill is Warramboo.
Latitude 28° 49' S Longitude 122° 10' E
Mount Margaret is an abandoned goldfields townsite located between Leonora and Laverton, about 900 km north east of Perth. The townsite derives its name from the nearby feature of the same name. The hill was named by the explorer John Forrest in 1869 after Margaret Elvire Hamersley whom he later married in 1876. The Aboriginal name for the hill is recorded as "Kalgara".
Gold was discovered in the Mount Margaret area in the mid 1880s, and by September 1896 the Mount Margaret Progress Committee were agitating for the declaration of a townsite. Lots were surveyed in early 1897, and the townsite gazetted in May 1897. At first the government were keen to use the Aboriginal name "Kalgara" for the townsite, but decided that locally used name of Mount Margaret should prevail.
Latitude 28° 46' S Longitude 122° 03' E
Mount Morgans is an abandoned goldfields townsite located about 900 km north east of Perth between the towns of Leonora and Laverton. Gold was discovered here in 1896 by Lilley and party, and their lease was later taken over by E A Morgans who became the Member for Coolgardie and later Premier of Western Australia. The mine developed here was the Westralia Mt Morgan mine, and in 1899 the goldfield Warden for the area requested a townsite be surveyed and declared at Mount Morgans. The townsite was gazetted in December 1899, and is named after Morgans.
Alfred Edward Morgans (1850-1933) was born in Wales, educated in England and came to Western australia in 1896 as a representative of Morgans' Syndicate Ltd. He was regarded as "the doyen of mining magnates", and was elected as the MLA for Coolgardie in 1897. He became Premier on 21 November 1901, but when three of his Ministers failed to get re-elected he was defeated in the Legislative Assembly on 23 December 1901. This is the shortest term of any Western Australian government.
Latitude 31° 24' S Longitude 119° 41' E
Mount Palmer is a townsite in the Yilgarn Goldfield, 415 km east of Perth and 46 km from Southern Cross. It is named after Mr A C "Daddy" Palmer who with W Colhoun and A R Pollard found gold in this area in 1934. It was referred to as "Palmer's Find" following the discovery of gold, and quickly became an important mining centre. When it came to gazetting a townsite here the names Palmer, Palmerdale and Palmerston were considered, but were all rejected because of duplication problems with other Australian towns. The Surveyor General then suggested Mount Palmer, and this was the name used when the townsite was gazetted in 1935. The mine closed in 1944, and the town quickly ceased to exist. There is no feature named Mount Palmer in this area.
Latitude 33° 56' S Longitude 115° 12' E
The townsite of Mowen is located in the south west, 288 km from Perth and 11km east north east of Margaret River. It is situated in a former Group Settlement area, and was gazetted in 1925 to provide town lots for group settlers in the area. The name of the townsite is derived from the nearby Mowen River, a name which has appeared on maps since 1839, but the origin of which is unknown
Latitude 31° 35' S Longitude 115° 58' E
The townsite of Muchea is located 57 km north of Perth and 13 km from Bullsbrook, the nearest town. The name of the townsite is derived from the Aboriginal word "Muchela", a name first recorded by a surveyor in 1845 when surveying a property for George Fletcher Moore. Moore was a keen student of the Aboriginal language, and although he would have obtained this name from local Aborigines, he does not record the word or its meaning in his published vocabulary.
The name Muchela is believed to have been corrupted to Muchea by Railway authorities. A railway siding was opened at Muchea between 1892 and 1898, and some accounts state the "L" was carelessly dropped when the Midland Railway authorities were preparing the timetable. The signwriter copied the timetable error onto the railway station name board, thus unwittingly naming a district. In 1903 the government surveyed some small farm lots at the siding, and the townsite of Muchea was gazetted in 1904
Latitude 33° 24' S Longitude 116° 20' E
The townsite of Muja is located in the Collie Coalfield, 221 km from Perth and 19 km east of Collie. Land was set aside for a townsite reserve at a railway siding named Cabbage Trees in 1907, the siding being on the Collie-Darkan Railway opened in 1907. The name Muja was also being used in this area as early as 1906, and the siding was renamed Muja in November 1907. The townsite reserve was not formally made a townsite until 1973. Muja is the Aboriginal word for the "cabbage tree", more commonly known as the WA Christmas Tree ( Nuytsia floribunda). Muja became well known during the 1960s with the advent of the Muja Open Cut Mine and the Muja Power Station, situated a few kilometres to the south.
Latitude 30° 55' S Longitude 118° 12' E
The townsite of Mukinbudin is located in the central agricultural region, 293 km east north east of Perth. In 1920 the government decided to extend the railway from Bencubbin to the Mukinbudin area, and the district surveyor, after inspecting the area, decided that a townsite was required. He advised that the local Farmers and Settlers Association wanted the townsite named Barlbarin instead of Muckenbooding, the name by which the area was then known. Land for the townsite was resumed in 1921, and by 1922 when the townsite was gazetted, the local settlers had changed their mind, and now wanted it named Muckenbooding, although preferring a shortened spelling. The Surveyor General, H S King, decided it should be spelt Mukinbudin, and this was the spelling used in the gazettal notice of 30 June 1922. The name is Aboriginal, and was first recorded for Muckenbooding Rock in 1889. The meaning of the name is not known.
Latitude 30° 23' S Longitude 121° 30' E
Mulgarrie is an abandoned goldfields townsite located about 40 km north of Kalgoorlie. In 1896, Surveyor Beasley who was in this area, advised the Lands Department a townsite is required at "Hayes' Find" or "Hit or Miss" now known as "Mulgarrie" Lots were soon surveyed, and the townsite of Mulgarrie gazetted in 1897. Mulgarrie is a local Aboriginal name, the meaning of which is unknown.
Latitude 33° 45' S Longitude 115° 57' E
The townsite of Mullalyup is located in a fruit growing area in the south west agricultural region, 231 km south of Perth and 10 km north west of Balingup. Mullalyup was one of the original stations on the Donnybrook to Bridgetown Railway when it opened in 1898, the name being derived from nearby Mullalyup Brook. The name is Aboriginal, and was first recorded by surveyor John Forrest in 1866. It is said to mean " the place where the young men had their noses pierced".
In 1898 the District Surveyor recommended land here be subdivided and a townsite declared. Land was set aside later that year, and following the survey of lots in 1900, the townsite of Mullalyup was gazetted in 1901.
Latitude 28° 32' S Longitude 115° 31' E
Mullewa townsite is located in the northern agricultural region, 450 km north of Perth and 98 km east north east of Geraldton. In 1894 the government constructed a railway from Geraldton to Mullewa, and as the land in the area was suitable for agriculture an Agricultural Area was gazetted for the area, and also a townsite gazetted in that year. Mullewa is named after Mullewa Spring, an Aboriginal name first recorded on plans of the area following settlers taking up pastoral leases in 1869 and by the surveyor John Forrest in 1873. There is much conjecture over the meaning of Mullewa, with the most accepted being "place of fog".
Latitude 29° 48' S Longitude 120° 31' E
Mulline is an abandoned goldfields townsite, located about 40 km west of Menzies. Gold was discovered in this area in the mid 1890s, and the numbers of miners in the area was sufficient for a townsite. Mulline was gazetted in 1897, and takes its name from Mulline Rock, an Aboriginal name recorded by Surveyor Brazier in 1894.
Latitude 30° 00' S Longitude 120° 33' E
Mulwarrie is an abandoned goldfields townsite located about 55 km south west of Menzies. The area was locally known as Mt Higgins when in 1900 the Mt Higgins Progress Committee wrote to the Lands Department requesting a townsite be declared. A survey was made later that same year, and the townsite gazetted as Mulwarrie in September 1900. It is presumed the name, first used by the surveyor in 1900, is a local Aboriginal name of unknown meaning.
Latitude 33° 24' S Longitude 116° 06' E
The townsite of Mungalup is located in the south west agricultural region about 10 km south west of Collie and 212 km from Perth. It is situated within state forest, and within a large reserve known as the "Timber Hewers Concession" when in 1905 one of the sleeper cutters operating in the area enquired about land being available to settle. At that time there were 40 or 50 timber and hessian huts of timber cutters scattered through the area, and tram line from Collie to the area. Lots were surveyed in 1906 and when a name for proposed townsite was requested the surveyor advised he did not know of a local Aboriginal name, and suggested the locally used names Lucknow, or Hearnshawville after an ex local Member of Parliament. Neither name was considered suitable, and Mungalupp suggested as an alternative. The source of this name is not known. Mungalupp townsite was gazetted in 1906, and the spelling was officially changed from Mungalupp to Mungalup in 1925.
Latitude 30° 51' S Longitude 121° 17' E
Mungari is an abandoned goldfields townsite located 16 km south west of Kalgoorlie on the original railway line to Coolgardie. In 1897 a number of lots were surveyed here and a hotel quickly erected. The place was sometimes spelt Mungarrie, and there was some discussion about the name being too similar to another mining town, Mulgarrie. However, when a reserve for a townsite was gazetted in December 1897 it was spelt Mungarri, as this was the name used in the railway timetables. But, when the townsite was gazetted in 1904, it was spelt Munngari, the double 'n' being used because of spelling rules adopted by the Lands Department. In 1974 the spelling was amended to the locally used original spelling, Mungari. Mungari was also the site of a military training camp during the World War I.
Latitude 33° 43' S Longitude 120° 52' E
The townsite of Munglinup is located in the south coastal region, 622 km south east of Perth between Ravensthorpe and Esperance. When the district was being opened up for farming in the late 1950s/early 1960s the local community sought the declaration of a townsite between Esperance and Ravensthorpe. The survey of lots was carried out in 1961, and the townsite gazetted in 1962. Munglinup is a local Aboriginal word, first shown on plans in 1868, and was believed to have been recorded by the Dempster Brothers who were the first settlers in the area.
Latitude 31° 46' S Longitude 118° 33' E
Muntadgin townsite is located in the eastern agricultural region, 293 km east of Perth. When the railway from Narembeen to Merredin was constructed Muntadgin was one of the sites selected for a siding. The district surveyor also felt the location was suitable for a townsite, and recommended lots be surveyed and a townsite declared. Following survey the townsite was gazetted in 1925. The name is Aboriginal, and derived from nearby Muntadgin Soak. This name was first recorded on maps of the area in 1912.
Latitude 33° 51' S Longitude 116° 59' E
Muradup is a townsite in the great southern agricultural region, 266 km south east of Perth and 10 km west of Kojonup. Land was reserved here for a townsite in 1899, and in 1905 the Shire of Kojonup requested lots be surveyed and made available for sale. The lots were surveyed in 1906, and in 1907 the reserve was gazetted as the townsite of Muradupp. Although named after nearby Mooradup Pool, an Aboriginal name first recorded by a surveyor in 1846, the spelling was amended to conform with rules adopted by the Lands Department. In 1915 the department decided the double "P" at the end of names was superfluous, and the name was amended to Muradup.
Latitude 28° 55' S Longitude 121° 49' E
Murrin Murrin is an abandoned goldfields townsite located about 50 km east of Leonora. Allotments at an existing mining settlement (corrugated iron hotel and store) known by this Aboriginal name were laid out in 1896, and the area containing these allotments was reserved for the future townsite of Murrin Murrin in November 1897. Town lots were offered for sale in 1900, but this place was by-passed when the railway to Laverton opened in 1905, Murrin Murrin railway station being situated 2 kilometres north of the original settlement. To remedy this, the boundaries were amended in 1906 to include the development by the railway (two hotels), and additional lots were also surveyed here. All of the town's development then occurred at the railway site. Murrin is an Aboriginal word for a species of Acacia Tree - Murrin Murrin refers to the abundance of these trees in the area.
Latitude 33° 06' S Longitude 125° 42' E
The townsite of Myalup is located on the coast 149 km south of Perth and 31 km north of Bunbury. The townsite was gazetted in 1972 following demand for beachside blocks in this area. Myalup is an Aboriginal name derived from a nearby swamp. The name was first recorded by Lt. Bunbury in 1836 as Miellup, and then in 1849 by a surveyor as Myerlup.