Certificate of Title

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Answers to your most common enquiries about Certificates of Title.

In most cases you will receive an email with the item/s you have requested attached as a PDF file/s. You can click on the attachment/s to view, print or save to your computer.

If the item you have requested is larger than 9.5 MB – you will still receive an email but with a Download Link to click on to allow you to view, print or save the item to your computer. This link will, in most cases, have an active life of 14 days and then will cease to work.

We now use Digital Titles instead of Paper Titles as the Register Record for new parcels of land. As the sketch of the land was previously hand drawn onto the paper Title, these are no longer available on the Digital Title.

Sketch information, showing the legal boundary and survey dimensions, is now included on the Survey Plan or Strata Plan as a scanned image.

This is a unique number which identifies individual titles of land. Western Australia adopted this as part of the Torren’s Land System in the 1890’s.

We can not provide you with your original Certificate of Title as it is the official entry in the WA land register.

We can provide you with a current copy or a Colour Reproduction of your original Title (if one is available).

For the most up to date, detailed information about our fees and charges, see Fee Details.

The small fee we charge covers the cost of:

  • Storage, either physically or digitally,
  • Managing updates and retrieval, and
  • Guaranteeing any Title against indefeasibility (that it cannot be annulled or made void)

Landgate maintains the official register of land ownership and survey information for the Western Australian State Government. This means that it is a public register and all land information contained in it is available to everyone.

Landgate only maintains the records for WA. For land information from other states, please refer to these official government sites:

In some situations duplicates of the original Title are issued to the property owner or the bank holding a mortgage on the property.

If you order a copy of a Certificate of Title online you can search the Land Register yourself using the street address. If you don't know the full address, you can start by entering just the street name.

Through our public counters, you can also search for a Title using the lot on plan number, the registered owner's name or the Volume and Folio number.

These are all Imperial (pre-metric) units of measurement used by Surveyors during the 1800’s.

It is possible to find the definitions of these length units and to convert these into metric units.

Mortgages are not automatically discharged when a home loan is paid off.

You have paid stamp duty to have a Mortgage up to a certain amount registered against your property. Later, if you borrow more money (up to the original amount stamped) from the same bank and use the same property as security, you won’t need to pay that stamp duty again.

However, you can lodge a Discharge of Mortgage document with us to remove any Mortgages for loans you’ve paid off.

This is to advise that something is in the process of being lodged or happening with the Title. It may take up to 6 weeks for ownership information to be updated online from the time of document lodgement. You may need to order another copy of the Title at a later date to see the details of the dealing.

The Title you have ordered has been converted to a Digital Title.

The Title has been cancelled and a new Title/s has been issued. This mainly occurs when the property is subdivided.

Upon the death of one joint owner and if a right of survivorship exists, the share of the interest of the deceased automatically goes to the surviving owner(s).

Upon the death of one party the land does not automatically go to the remaining partner unless stated in the will.

It also means that two or more people can hold the land in undivided shares. For example Mary Jones has 1/3 share and Robert Jones has a 2/3 share of the land. Both can transfer their shares to each other or someone else.